Monday 14 September 2009

God's middle finger: into the lawless heart of the Sierra Madre

I would like to share my perception of a book I recently read, which on occasion made me blink my eyes about thirty times in absolute disbelief. The book I am talking about is called God's middle finger, and that is precisely the name the area the book reports about deserves, especially considering the fact that the book is a factual travelling story by the British author Richard Grant, who currently lives in Arizona, USA.

Mister Grant at one point in his life decided he wanted to visit the Sierra Madre in Mexico, an area filled with drugs, and where murder is as he states 'the national sport'. He wrote a book on it, in which he tries to explain in detail what he saw there. He did a terribly good job describing the tension that constantly defines the atmosphere in the remote Sierra Madre desert.

What struck me was how incredibly tough the drug dealers in the area are. They actually kill purely because they can and rape girls because they know the girls will never report to the police, since the police are mainly corrupt and bribed by the drug mafia. Moreover, the girl will probably be raped by the police too because they get aroused by the dreadful stories she tells. Trespassers in the area are likely to be raped in the most gruesome manner and afterwards will probably be killed and left to be eaten by the wild animals that inhabit the area.

All this seemed to me to be the perfect scenery for a horror movie, but the facts are there: these weird and terrible things actually do happen in the Sierra Madre, and the government will not address the problem because the drugs in the area provide for more than fifty percent of the national income of Mexico. Thank God that he has pointed his middle finger in the direction of the Sierra Madre and not ours, is all I can say.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Michelle!

    This sounds as a really tough book to read. It is really true that these things happen in Mexico, maybe it's not everywhere as bad as in Sierra Madre but I've been to the country myself and saw in which poverty and harmful circumstances the women and children live over there. It is really a good step in the right direction that someone tries to open the eyes of others for such crimes!

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wha Michelle! I want to read that book!
    You described it very well. I can't give any comment about your grammar and I think you really understand how to right a blog.
    I think the purpose is to make people interested in the book that you described, and it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the way you described this book. And if I have some free time I will surly try to read it. Mexico is well known for its lawlessness in some areas, look at the ongoing drug war near the boarders of the USA. The government is unable to stop the killing even if it uses the military. Let alone some backwater area where nobody cares for the innocent civilians. I think its going to be a couple of decades before we will see some civilisation there
    But its true what they say: ‘ money is the root of all evil’

    ReplyDelete